‘SON vacancy was too big’ → ‘Just one shot + the greatest empty ball ever’ Tottenham lost 0-1 against Manchester City…Failed in the FA Cup

Tottenham was eliminated from the FA Cup after losing to Manchester City at home for the first time in five years.

Tottenham lost 0-1 in the fourth round (32nd round) of the 2023-2024 English FA Cup against Manchester City at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London, England on the 27th (Korea time).꽁머니환전

Home team Tottenham brought up a 4-3-3 tactic. Newly recruited Timo Werner, Hisalisson and Brennan Johnson were at the forefront. Dejan Kulusevski, Rodrigo Bentancur and Pierre-Emile Hoivier worked together in the midfield. Destiny Udogi-Mickey Panderpen-Christian Romero-Pedro Porro was located at the four-back. The goalkeeper’s glove was worn by Guglielmo Vicario.

Manchester City, the visiting team, fought back with a 4-2-3-1 tactic. Julián Alvarez was at the front line, and Phil Foden, Oscar Bob, and Bernardu Silva were at the second line. Matteo Kovacic and Rodri were in the third line. Joschko Gvardiol, Nathan Ake, Huveng Dias and Kyle Walker were at the four-back. The goal was saved by Stefan Ortega.

Tottenham has been strong at home against Manchester City. The last game to lose to Manchester City at home was in April 2018. Since he showed such a strong performance against Manchester City at home, much attention was paid to how Tottenham would show in the face-off against Manchester City, the strongest team in the league.

In addition, news of Madison’s return to training was reported ahead of the match. Madison has not played for a long time since suffering an ankle injury against Chelsea in the 11th round, and it could be expected that Madison could fill Son Heung-min’s vacancy by making his name on the replacement list for the game.

At the same time as the start of the game, Manchester City strongly pressured Tottenham, hindering Tottenham’s attack development. Under pressure from Manchester City players, Tottenham slowly developed a rear build-up, owning the ball in the defense.

Tottenham attempted to attack with a sharp pass that penetrated Manchester City’s pressure. Bentancur’s pass in the second minute of the first half quickly slipped through Manchester City’s defense, but Ortega stepped out of the penalty box and handled the ball, disallowing a threatening scene.

Manchester City shook the net early on, but the goal was not recognized. In the 5th minute of the first half, the ball was connected to Walker through a quick right-hand conversion pass, and Walker’s cross sharply went up to Tottenham’s door. When the ball hit by Vicario fell right in front of the goal line in front of the goal, the rushing Bob pushed it and scored. However, after scoring, VAR was reviewed whether Bob was offside or not, and the score was canceled as it was confirmed that Bob’s toe was ahead of Romero.

Even after the cancellation of the goal, Manchester City did not lose confidence and pushed Tottenham to lead the game. In the 10th minute of the first half, Silva, who was penetrating into the box, caught the ball in front of Udo-ki and beat it slightly to connect the shot, but it was blocked by Panderpen. In the 13th minute of the first half, Álvarez, who caught the ball a little far in front of the penalty box, aimed for the goal with a confident mid-range shot, but was caught by Vicario.

Tottenham attempted a counterattack through a set piece. They advanced to Manchester City for the first time in the match, delivering the ball to the goalpost through a corner kick in the 15th minute of the first half. In the 20th minute of the first half, Johnson quickly headed for Manchester City with a fast counterattack, and even managed to secure a corner kick. Porro’s cross went to the center of the Manchester City box, but failed to reach the heads of Tottenham’s strikers.

Tottenham also defended Manchester City’s threatening counterattack. Pantherpen stopped Foden’s sharp counterattack in front of the penalty box in the 22nd minute of the first half and did not allow a shot. After a good defense, Manchester City continued to attack. In the 24th minute of the first half, Manchester City’s defense missed the back space, and Porro tried to break through to the right side by looking for the gap. Porro tried to deliver the ball to Hishalisson, who was rushing from the center with a low and fast cross from the right side of the penalty box, but Ortega blocked the cross first.

Manchester City led the attack with a fierce battle between Álvarez and Foden. In the 27th minute of the first half, Foden sought a chance by catching a pass that Álvarez pushed in front of the penalty box, but Udo-ki, who quickly covered, blocked Foden’s advance and blocked the attack opportunity.

The game, which had been temporarily suspended due to the referee’s replacement of the communication device, resumed and Tottenham gradually began to take the lead. Tottenham attempted to attack little by little, shaking the left side of the Manchester City penalty box through the link between Kulusevski and Werner. In the 41st minute of the first half, after Hoivier’s de-pressure, the connected Fes went through Werner to Hishalisson in front of the gate, but it was not completed with a shot.

Manchester City also fought back strongly. Silva, Rodri and Bob tried to shoot consecutively in the Tottenham penalty box in the 42nd minute of the first half, but all of them hit the Tottenham players and a corner kick was declared later. In the 45th minute of the first half, Bob, who caught a long pass near the Tottenham penalty box, attempted a cutback pass into the box and connected to Foden, but Foden’s shot went to the side of the net. The two teams later failed to score and finished the first half 0-0.

In the second half, the two teams fought hard to take the lead in the game by pressing the opponent hard at the start.

Álvarez wasted a great opportunity. In the third minute of the second half, Bob’s sharp cross connected to Álvarez, who was located behind Tottenham’s defense. Having the perfect shooting opportunity, Álvarez tried to finish it calmly, but a corner kick was declared when he was caught in Panderpen’s leg. Manchester City’s attack continued to threaten Tottenham. The attack, which started with Bob’s pass in the fifth minute of the second half, ended with Gvardiol’s shot, but it flowed to the side of the net.

Werner created a chance as well. In the eighth minute of the second half, Werner attempted a sharp pass for Johnson, who was running through the Manchester City defense. The pass was headed straight for Johnson, but Ortega burst out and saved the ball before Johnson attempted to shoot.

Despite the continued attacks in the first half of the second half, the two teams did not score and continued to be somewhat frustrated.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *